Tuesday, June 16, 2015

May fun - end of school, boys' birthdays, trip to Birmingham, and lots of other fun in between

I knew I was tired when May was over, but didn't realize just how busy we'd been until I looked back through all the pictures and my calendar. I probably should have tried to break this into more than one post...

We kicked it off with a date night! Michael and I had not been out together without kids in…well, a really long time, like close to two years. It was so much fun! We went downtown to dinner at a small place we wouldn't have tried with kids in tow. We walked around and zipped in and out of stores we haven't been able to get into with the stroller. (And no one was crying while we browsed leisurely.)We got ice cream at Leopold's and didn't have to worry about sharing or wiping anyones face while we enjoyed it. =) It was also our first time having a sitter since we've always had family close by. It went wonderfully and we hope to do it more regularly. It was nice to have a night off.

We day tripped down to Jacksonville to visit the zoo again. A pretty simple trip and a nice day.





I went to the beach with the little kids and a couple of friends one morning. It was super windy and the kids just didn't really get into it that day for whatever reason. Maybe the wind. Later that same week we went strawberry picking. The fruit of our labor was a little sad, but it was a fun outing with friends.
Sacked out in the car on the way home from the beach




Waiting on the bus one afternoon. Wondering if they will still sit in there when school starts back in the fall...

We did a family trip to the beach on a Friday evening. It was perfect. We all enjoyed the different aspects of the sand and water and views. It did get chilly fast when the sun started to set though and the kids were ready to go before we were. Then Kai had his final soccer game and we had an ice cream party with the team afterwards. (Michael was the coach.)

The south tip of Tybee Island. Michael caught a fish just before the sun went behind the clouds. Tate still enjoying himself. Kai and Penelope freezing and whiny and begging for snacks.

A fun season with Savannah United. These are the Tigers.

Game face

Kai had awards day at school and received a medal for High Honor Roll. He was proud and glad that we were able to be there to see it.

May 15th, our baby Tate turned one year old. This was also the day of Kai's field day at school so I took the kids to go watch him. It was a hot afternoon, but fun to be able to be there. That evening we had a couple of families over to celebrate Tate with us and it was really perfect. He was hesitant for just a second with his cake and then completely destroyed it in no time. He didn't eat much. But he certainly pulverized it and had fun doing it. Michael made his cake and cupcakes for the rest of us and they were yummy.

I wish this was blowing a kiss, but I think it was more…What?! I'm one already??

Kai's class before beginning their Field Day activities. This is classic Kai not wanting to do what everyone else is doing and not wanting to be in the picture. See if you can find him. =)

Kai and his friend Emilly

Cake!

5 seconds after putting it in front of him

10 seconds later

And about 10 seconds after that. He was digging his fingers in like it was sand.

Cupcakes and juice. Lethal combination.

I think I'm done now guys.

Mommy and Daddy and our little man

May 18th, our original baby, Kai, turned seven years old. He woke up excited. He wanted to have chocolate cupcakes with chocolate icing to celebrate with his class at school. He devoured it before I could even get his picture. That night we let Kai pick our dinner and dessert spot. No surprise to those who have spent time eating with him, he chose Mexican and frozen yogurt. It was a really fun night out celebrating our big guy. I went to eat lunch with him at school the next day which was a treat for him too. Penelope thought it was just as much fun to get to eat with the big kids.

Post chocolate destruction

Birthday boy at dinner

After dessert

Lunch at school

Lunch with Kai (and Emilly)

I was able to day trip up to Fripp Island with Penelope and Tate one day to visit with some family that I don't get to see very often. It was a pretty quick trip and a lot of fun. As a kid we would vacation there and there were things about it that were still familiar. It was good to spend some time with extended family and just escape from my routine for a day.

Kai's class had an end of the year party the day before school was out and I was able to go but ran late getting there. Turns out that just like last year, I missed him receiving his award from his teacher which really made me sad and one of the other moms told me he was really sad I wasn't there too. It was a little wild with the kids that afternoon, but it was fun to see Kai with his friends and Penelope soaking up the attention of Kai's classmates. Tate just wanted to be napping and fussed most of the time.

Kai with Mrs. Wolf

Penelope giving her autograph to one of Kai's classmates

Kai and his buddies, Emilly and Dominic (They got to dress up for their class party)

When Kai got home on the last day of school, we had the car packed up and we drove to Birmingham for a long holiday weekend. He had a great first grade year and was sad when he got off the bus because he was going to miss school over the summer. We were so excited to get to see family. While we were in Birmingham I was able to visit with friends and meet one of my friend's twin boys finally. We celebrated our boys' birthdays again with their grandparents. We got to go to our church and catch up with some folks there and then to lunch at our favorite place, Chuy's. We spent time just hanging out with our parents which was nice. Something we definitely miss being so far away now.

Last day of first grade!

Bus stop buds, John and Dean (they got to dress down for the last day of school)

Presents!

Eating a puzzle piece. That's what its for right??

Blowing out the candles

Blowing out his candle

Cruising outside at Chuy's after church

Rocking at Nonie's

The last night we were in Birmingham, Tate started to have a cough. We made an overnight stop in Atlanta on our way home so that we could visit the Legoland Discovery Center as part of Kai's birthday present. Tate was pretty miserable with congestion and a cough which I began struggling with too. It was not the most restful night in a hotel. But Kai loved getting to go to Legoland.

Legoland Discovery Center, Atlanta
We got to eat dinner at a mall that I grew up going to and hadn't been to probably since I was 10. (And we misjudged Atlanta traffic and sat still for almost an hour trying to get to dinner. Whoops.) We loaded up and headed home the next morning and then spent a week or so recuperating at home from our busy month, and travel, and summer colds that attacked Tate, me, and Kai. Then we hit reset when June arrived and tried to dig in to summer.

No comments: